Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I am overcome

I went to Florida last weekend.

I sat on a beach chair and dozed in the sunshine, listening to the gentle waves and burying my toes in the fine, white sand. I held The FBF's hand. I looked for shells.

I started to cry.

The enormity of the journey I've been on is just starting to hit me. Had I sat down a year ago and imagined where I'd be now I would never in a million years have guessed. What started out as a road bump has been so much more: cancer treatment has left me with an entirely new map filled with roads I'd only dreamed of. And this is the cool part: I love where this journey is taking me. I love my life. I am so overcome with gratitude and happiness lately that sometimes it makes me cry.

Even when I'm sitting on a beach.

4 comments:

kai said...

Yea, she's back! Between no emails and no new blog entries, I've missed you. I'm so happy you had a good time in the sunshine state and got away from the rain. And I'm so happy that you're so happy. You deserve it, my dear friend!

And look at all that hair you have....wow! Lookin' good sistah!

Anonymous said...

Loved your post! Getting away really gives a sense of perspective doesn't it? So glad you got to go to the warm sunny beach with FBF.
And so happy that you love your life.


I had a few days after I went on a mini-vacation as well where I was incredibly HAPPY. Just filled with a sense of bliss and peace, like sunshine in my head and heart. (sappy I know, but it was so bright....)

My aunt (20-something yr survivor) says there's a time after cancer
when you realize that you're going to be okay, and the surge of well-being... did that came along with the gratitude?

xoxo
Amanda

Anonymous said...

LAMMY KINS!

You got away to the sun! Good for you. Can you believe it was almost a year ago we were in NOLA? I cant even imagine going thru all you have since then. Way to go girl!

Amanda M said...

hey oh quiet one.....hope life is treating you well!