Thursday, July 12, 2007

Chemo No. 5

Today I had my first round of Taxol. I'll have 3 more, once every 2 weeks, and then I'll be DONE with chemo!

The issue with Taxol is that the substance they deliver it in is highly allergic. In order to avoid an allergic reaction it's common practice to give the patient high doses of Benadryl, along with Decadron (steroids) and Zantac to soothe the stomach. I also got Zofran (an anti-nausea, but much less than with the A/C: only 1 pill.) I was really out of it from all Benadryl but really wired from the Decadron at the same time. NOT a pleasant combination when you are basically strapped to a chemo recliner! I was told to take a half an Ativan to remedy the Tired/Wired issue so I did that when I got home and it helped.

The entire process was long, as the first bit of Taxol is delivered very slowly to be sure it's tolerable. I went in shortly after 1:00 and didn't leave until nearly 6:00! My stomach feels SO full tonight with all the IV fluids plus all the water I drank (including an entire HUGE bottle of Pellegrino which is tasting better than anything lately.)

My nurse said that Saturday and Sunday will probably be couch days for me. I'll let you know. Tonight, besides being full and a little bit woozy from Benadryl I feel pretty good. I played Scrabble with my Mom but out of respect for her I won't divulge who won...

A little side note:

I love getting comments on my blog. When my treatments tie me to the couch, and my laptop is a bigger part of my life than I'd like to admit, you have no idea how uplifting a comment can be. I so appreciate my friends who take the time to comment just about every time I post something. I also really appreciate hearing from people I've not met, whether you just like my writing or you are also facing cancer or know someone who is. Don't hesitate to write me. I'll even answer you back if you let me know how. Cancer is scary but none of us have to be alone in the fight.

6 comments:

kai said...

By the time all of this is over you will have earned an honorary medical degree!

Unknown said...

I think my Dad had Taxol too. Have you been very nauseated at all? Only 3 more to go? Yay! I'll be doing the happy dance with you on the last round!

Love
Kimi :-)

katie said...

Ask and ye shall receive. Glad #5 is done and will be eager to hear how the weekend goes. Planners at work just asked the ladies in the office, "What makes a woman strong." I sent them the photo from Blues Fest (not the guy in the Hawaiian shirt -- har har) and wrote this:
This is my sister, halfway through her chemo treatments for breast cancer, with her kids at Blues Fest in Portland a week ago.

What makes her strong:
Going to a festival with thousands of people sans wig.
Leaving the house when you are emotionally and physically drained in order to enjoy the music you love.
Letting your children see what cancer looks like and teaching them not to fear it.
Smiling a radiant smile that only a strong woman can.

Anonymous said...

I continue to be amazed at how far you've come. You are SO brave and truly my hero...for so many reasons. --Coleen

I don't have a screen name yet, I'm just not that savy.

Anonymous said...

Hi LeeAnne -

I am glad you are almost done. You are so brave. Thank you for putting my link on your blog, that is so cool! My friend had a cooky lee party and I bought a cool breeast cancer bracelet with pink ribbons on it and I wear it for you. I hope you are feeling good today after your new kemo.

U ROCK!!

Luv, Maren

ND said...

Now that is too cool you can play Scrabble after chemo and not have the letters look like besrbalc, of course if they did then that could make for some interesting new words. I'll send weekend sucky weather vibes up there for you so couch days won't be as frustrating. :-)
Love Noreen