Monday, July 2, 2007

Fatigue

When you look at a list of possible side-effects resulting from chemotherapy, fatigue is always there. But I had no idea at all what that really meant. Being more tired than normal? I have always been able to push myself, to keep on going, to power through things but this fatigue thing has brought me to my knees and truly, I suspect it may get worse before it gets better.

At the oddest times I find myself absolutely floored by the overwhelming urge to lay down. It's like a wave overcomes me and I MUST SIT NOW. Putting on mascara this morning I had to go sit on the couch because my arm could not do what I needed it to do! I sit down and then I want to nap. I wake up woozy and want to nap some more. It's pathetic. Not only that, it's boring, isolating, lonely and not a little depressing. The weather is beautiful outside and I am pretty much strapped to the couch. Whine whine whine.

This is the very real and not imagined result of being poisoned by chemo. Every single muscle in my body is exhausted by the fight. I told the doctor I was having a heck of a time with blurry vision and he said it was due to my eye muscles being fatigued by the chemo. That's right, even my eye muscles. I had no idea it would affect every single muscle in my body.

The very best thing I can do? Moderate exercise. Ha! Tonight I managed a slow walk down the street and back up again. That's it for exercise. I am eating really well, and that does help. Mostly, though, I suspect I just have to live with it and be patient with myself and know that this will pass eventually. I'm really tired of it already.

7 comments:

ND said...

You are powering through this, but in a different way than usual. I know how frustrated you must be to be such good friends with couch. You're right, it will pass eventually. So if you need to sleep, then snooze away, you've earned it.
Love ya-

kai said...

You're going through what I've been going through for more than a year now. And even though mine isn't from chemo, I can tell you that you'll get through this and be fine...you're a tough woman and you're doing everything right to take care of yourself.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

I so know what you mean right now. I spend all day trying to get up the energy to drive to the gym and just do two slow miles on the treadmill. I couldn't even walk the dog last night. It's all very frustrating. But we'll get through it. We're young and strong and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You're even closer than I am, so hang in there!

Unknown said...

Nap away! I know it's aggrivating. I remember my dad going through the same thing. Hang in there, you're almost there!

Love ya!

Alien Citizen said...

This is an awesome blog you have. I came across it randomly by clicking next blog after Tao Lin's. Maybe you've heard of him given that you also, it turns out, are on Goodreads. Nice to meet you :-)

Aliencitizens

Anonymous said...

Hey, they say you snooze you lose, but thats not true at all. Rest, rebuild, renew! The muscles will come back, it all will because during it you have had your mind in the right place. Not once have you failed to feel something, say something or even yell scream and cry. Keep on with it, you will emerge.

anne said...

You are amazing.

Thank you so much for writing this. As we speak, my sister in law is just beginning chemo for Stage III invasive ductal carcinoma. Your words really help me understand what she'll be going through.

I cannot thank you enough, and bless you for your strength, beauty, and grace! To say nothing of your lovely writing skills.

Best to you, and wishing your power and good rest.