Thursday, April 19, 2007

42!

The biggest surprise of today's multi-doc appointment: I actually had 42 lymph nodes removed!!! Only 1 had cancer in it, though. Apparently my body is an over-achiever in the lymph node department, as the average number of pit nodes hovers around 25. I've got more. Or I did. None now, which helps me understand the rather slow recovery and the weird tingly feelings I have in my upper arm. And maybe, someday, my armpit will have feelings again. TMI? I just wish my body would choose to over-achieve in something slightly more attractive, like six-pack abs, or an amazing singing voice...

It's no surprise that I will be having chemo, radiation and hormone therapy. I am signing up to be part of a clinical study that might change my treatment somewhat, and put a short, intense course of radiation before chemo, but I won't know that for a few weeks. My next focus will be doc appointments getting me ready for the study: xrays, ct scans, blood draws, etc. Nothing big, but all headed me down the road to the goal: No More Cancer, Ever.

Oh, and the tumor margins were good, but this stuff acts in bizarre ways, and can send off little arms here and there; hence the reason for the chemo. If cancer IS anywhere else in my body it's gonna get nuked. I'm calling in the big guns and declaring war. The 42 lymph nodes are just the first casualties.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

42??? I always figured you were an overachiever! That cancer must not have been as tough as it thought it was since it only managed to get one node...

ND said...

Seems like those 42 lymph nodes caused some confusion for that dumb ass cancer--it couldn't decide! So in this study they pay you? That would be only fair. :-)

Unknown said...

I was thinking they only removed 1 lymph node. 42? Wow! Yeah, what Noreen said...are they going to pay you for the study?

Anonymous said...

42 nodes? What, one for every Abita you had in NOLA? Ooops, did I say that in my outloud voice? Hope you are back to feeling better. I have a charm for you, I took it off my cahkeys (no they arent PANTS you dope) Some one of these days Ill mail it, you know me....

Anonymous said...

In case you are not reading your email, just the blog...
Good job! You are brave and we are all SO with you in your fight! I am also SO happy for you that the cancer they found in the lymph was so itty bitty.