Thursday, April 26, 2007

What makes YOU happy?

My last week or so has been filled with test after test, allowing the docs to establish a baseline before they start to wreck me with poison and radiation. I've had CT scans, been drawn on with sharpies, tattooed for radiation, had my first bone scan, blood has been drawn and tomorrow I have a muga (heart) scan. All to be sure that what is going to cure me isn't going to kill me. My life-long hatred of needles has been tested, and yes, I still hate them.

The importance of fitting in things that make me happy has never been more important. I'm still recovering from surgery, and in a fair amount of pain much of the time, but some things don't need a whole lot of energy or freedom from pain to do. Case in point: the tanning bed. I love the tanning bed. I haven't visited one in years, but it was one of the first things I signed up for when the big diagnosis came down. Tanning beds make me happy. Being tan makes me happy. God bless my radiation oncologist who gave me the thumbs up as long as I cover the ta-tas. THAT, I can do.

And here is another thing that makes me happy: Waterloo

I love the movie "Muriel's Wedding." And I do love Abba. Perfect to hum while you're being injected with something radioactive, as I was this morning. Perfect for the tanning booth, or the commute.

It's important for all of us to know what makes us happy. Needles don't, but tanning and Abba both do. Life is good.