Sunday, April 8, 2007

Break Down

Baby breakdown
Go ahead and give it to me
Breakdown honey take me through the night
Breakdown now I'm standin' here can't you see
Breakdown it's all right
It's all right
-Tom Petty

It was only a matter of time I suppose. Today the tears started. Racking, dramatic, heaving tears while I told God over and over and over again that I'm not brave enough for this. I don't have a high enough pain threshold to get through this. I'm not the right person - it was supposed to be somebody else. I have a LIFE to lead. Kids. Friends. Job. Stuff. No time for cancer! No interest in cancer! Lots of places I'd like to go, things I'd like to see and experience, but not this!

The phone has been ringing off the hook and I'm too distraught to talk. I let the well-meaning messages pile up on the answering machine. I hope everyone will understand. I just can't keep talking about it. Especially when I'm feeling so emotional and afraid and the very thought of putting on a brave face makes me want to crawl into bed and not come out. Ever. If I have to hear one more story about somebody's friend or aunt or cousin who had breast cancer and was fine I'm going to scream. Because quite frankly, right now I don't feel fine. Right now I'm scared shitless.

Here's the reality. Every tumor is different. Every body is different. Oncology is not an exact science. My cancer is it's own little being. I get to become an experiment. But I won't know what kind of experiment until I have surgery. That's when it all is going to get very real. I have 1 more day of what might be blissful ignorance before I find out what I'm really dealing with.

And that is scary.

Break down indeed. Only the first of what I'm sure will be many.

5 comments:

katie said...

You ARE strong and brave enough for this. You prove that every single day, cancer or no, just by living your honest life.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

It's okay, you don't have to keep it all in. We're all here to pick you up and put you back together. You are stronger than you realize. It's one of the things I've admired about you for years. Hey, you even made it through "The Grossest Thing Ever!" You are one bad ass chick! Love you Lammie.

Anonymous said...

One breath at a time...in...out. That's it! You're in good hands at OHSU. Take the time you need to grieve and mull over all those "WHY?" questions.

You can make it through this, you've got all of us pulling for you. You really are strong. We all know it and will will hang on to that for you.

I'm praying for you and am just across the river. I'm good at just sitting by a bed or on a couch listening, or whatever, if you ever need it.

Lots of love your way!

Barb said...

Okay, I don't know how I became "anonymous" but it's ME!!

Unknown said...

That's so cute that Kelly calls you "Lammie". I wanna call you Lammie too. LOL I'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Love you lots!

Kimi