Monday, May 28, 2007

Defying Expectations

I am surprising a lot of people lately. Friends exclaim "you're so perky!"

Well heck, why not? I feel relatively good (as a side note, don't for one minute think that I don't have chemo side effects happening, it's just that they're mostly ignorable, most of the time, especially if I am active) and I have a ton of energy. This weekend I: cleaned out half the garage, worked with my daughter to sort out all her outgrown clothes, took a huge load to Goodwill, went to the garden center and bought plants and planted a few pots, took a couple walks, drained, cleaned and refilled the hot tub, went shopping with my son, and attended a Memorial Day potluck. In other words, a pretty typical at-home long weekend. And no one expects that from me. They seem to think that cancer means I will spending the next 6 months in bed. And that's not how it is. I am mo-ti-va-ted.

Why?

Part of it is knowing that next weekend I will be in that drugged out post-chemo daze that will reduce me to taking a few walks and more than a few naps between spoonfuls of white, bland food. Boooooring. Part of it is the appreciation I have for feeling decent, having recently contrasted it with not feeling so good. And I have to believe that a great deal of this energy comes from a new-found appreciation for my wonderful life and its endless possibilities. It's sort of like God upsided me across the head with a big ol' 2x4 while asking "what were you waiting for? Get on it, girl!"

So when I feel good, and the energy is there, I am gettin' on it. No one expected that. Least of all me.

5 comments:

ND said...

As a teacher said everyday in a class I worked in this past semester: "Life is beautiful." It is the ultimate motivator. So glad your hot tub is cleaned and refilled--the important things.:-)

Barb said...

Yeah, so glad that you're feeling so good. Enjoy this wonderful weather! Thinking of and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

You got a helluva lot more accomplished this weekend than I did! Damn, and I have no excuse. You're an inspiration!

Unknown said...

LAM! Sorry I haven't commented in awhile. I just caught up and I'm so excited for you that the chemo is going so well. Sounds like the drugs they are giving you are excellent!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Man, I'll have what she's having....oops wrong movie. Really, though...you got all the stuff done so when you start feeling crappy, at least you won't have the guilt of not doing anything. And that hot tub, like Noreen says, you got your priorities straight :-) Now what's up with the white food? Is that all you can think about eating, or is there a special reason for it? With this week's treatment, aren't you almost halfway done? And when is the head shaving party?