Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rocking the 'Rag


Well, this is what I figured. I need to get used to the hair thing. I have a week left with it and that's not a very long time.

So tonight, after yet another culinary feast provided by a loving neighbor (stay tuned for a future blog on the wonderfulness of delivered, home-cooked food), and since I was feeling pretty darn good, I decided to rock the 'rag for the first time ever on a trip to Target. I didn't know if I would be stared at or ignored or if I would feel cool or what but I needed to do it.

Guess what?

No one noticed.

Phew. They all seemed to think that I liked my headwear and wore it by choice. Huh. Go figure. Or maybe they thought "I wonder if she has cancer and the hair hanging under her bandana is really velcro'd on." Now really, when was the last time you ever doubted the authentic-ness of someone's hair? I can't say as I ever have. Which is somehow comforting to me right now. If I sport some fake hair, odds are good that No One Will Notice.

Now of course I notice that my nose looks big and brown maybe isn't my best bandana color, but beyond that, a dumb looking do-rag is a dumb looking do-rag. Fact is I'm being treated for cancer. I don't walk super fast, everything on me that can peel has, my throat feels funny and my gut feels punched but no one cares what my head has on it. Just me. And I need to get over it.

While I'm working my way up to baldness bravery I'm coping with a few sort of hair crutches in addition to the wig I debuted last week. A hat and Jennifer hair in medium brown are on their way. Whatever it takes to help me rock it, right?

4 comments:

katie said...

This is a kick-ass post! Maybe if the do-rag had horns growing out of the top, people would notice, but even then...we are talking about Portland, after all! The only thing strangers will notice when you wear these are are your lovely, lovely eyes (said in my best Boca accent).

And I think you look freaking adorable!

Anonymous said...

Way to rock that do-rag sistah! Now you just gotta get that Axel Rose hip swingin thing goin and you are TOTALLY set! Kick your feet out to the side... just a little... yup, just like that! You rock!

Maren says, "That do-rag is hecka tight! You look just like Michelle Branch!"

Anonymous said...

Bon Jovi eat your heart out

Unknown said...

I so love the do-rag and the wig! The wig with the highlights is perfect, it looks great on you!