Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

On this Mother's Day I pause to give a shameless, overly sentimental thank you to my mom. She took me to 5:30 a.m. port-placement surgery on Friday, brought me home, made our family meals, took care of my kids AND my dad, and did it all weekend until I felt able to provide at least the basics here (which just happened a few hours ago). She is unflagging in her energy, supports my delusions that medical personnel of both sexes are flirting with me, makes the most nutritious meals on the face of the planet and folds my laundry beautifully! There's something about having Mom nearby when I don't feel good that makes me feel like everything is fine. She makes me feel safe. I'm so thankful to have her; so thankful that she's able to come to Portland and take care of me, and that she's committed to being with me for all my chemo treatments. It's the best medicine I could ask for.

On a sobering note, I got news today of a good friend's niece who has been in aggressive treatment for Osteosarcoma. The cancer has spread, treatment is being stopped and hospice is being consulted. My prayers are with Chelsea and those who love her. And on this Mother's Day my heart goes out especially to her mom Celeste who has to go places a mom should never have to go. May she travel with grace.

Happy Mother's Day everyone... I am blessed to be one, and blessed to have one beside me.

2 comments:

Amanda M said...

Hi - I actually stayed overnight for my port surgery at Providence Portland. It was a much bigger deal than I was told it was going to be - full anaesthesia and all. Took several days to recover, and a full week before I could really use that arm. Just FYI.

My first A/C was really rough mostly because I expected Days 1 -4 to be bad, because those were the days I was taking the meds they gave me (emends, decadron, compazine, ativan) but then Day 5 I expected to feel better, and if anything I felt worse. So, personally, I'd say clear your plate for the 10 days following chemo, because it's only today, Day 12, that I'm feeling up to anything, and I start again in 3 days. Hopefully you'll have a much better time of it - it's SO individual. All I can say is what someone else told me "communicate, communicate, communicate" - be a squeaky wheel and tell your docs what's going on.

Oh, and hey, the Pdx Young Survivors group meets the 2nd Sunday of every month at the Starbucks on NW 23rd at 7 pm. It's made a big difference for me so far, but everone is different.

Best wishes this month!!

- Amanda
http://imaginebrightfutures.wordpress.com/

Barb said...

Thank you for your sweet mention of Chelsea. That means the world to me!