Thursday, September 20, 2007

Everything you've always wanted to know...

... about radiation:

I get it 5 days a week. For 6 weeks. 33 treatments in all.

I've done 4.

Most of the time is spent driving to the hospital and waiting to be called. Once they call me I put on a gown, lock up my stuff, and make my way down the hall to a room with a very big machine. I lay on a narrow, hard table. At least 2 and sometimes 3 technicians work on arranging me in exactly the right position. Once I'm in place the actual getting of the radiation is very fast. I'm zapped for 6 seconds in 2 places.

The doc tells me that my skin will tan, but hopefully not burn, blister, itch or peel. She also tells me I'll be really tired in a couple of weeks. Joy. I have been reveling in feeling a little better lately so the last thing I want is to revisit fatigue world. Oh well. When it does I'll give in to it, but for the moment I am thrilled to feel a tiny bit better every day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's amazing what 6 seconds can do. (Oh, and where do the extra three zaps come in? On my fingers 6x5=30.)

I'm so glad you're continuing to feel better each day!!

XOXO
Kelly

ND said...

Glad you're feeling a little better. So when you tire again, at least you'll be tan.
:-)
N

Unknown said...

6 seconds? Wow, I didn't know it was that quick. That's great, but I know it sucks to have to go so often.

Hopefully you won't get too tired from it and then it will be ALL over! Yay!

Love you

Anonymous said...

Everyone I know says the rad fatigue isnt as bad as the chemo fatigue. You can do it! At least you have Kelly doing the math for you, but man she must be some kind of mutant, Ive only got ten fingers, so anything over that I have to take off my shoes. Iffin its over twenty, Im toast.