Monday, September 24, 2007

Race for the Cure

Yesterday I participated in Portland's gigantic Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure. My team raised over $2,800 in support of this amazing organization. Donations are accepted through October, so if you would still like to give you can do so here.

My incredible parents, my children, a girlfriend and her son all walked with me on the short 1 mile course. I had team mates who ran the 5K, walked the 5K, and some who slept in for the cure. I had incredibly generous donations from family, friends, co-workers and even strangers. I so appreciate everyone's support, no matter how big or small.

I think I'm still too close to this whole breast cancer thing to be all happy about the mega-show of pink that this race brings out. I hate that so many people's lives have been touched by breast cancer. Hate that this organization even has to exist. But it does. And it does amazing work. I know without the Komen foundation I would not have the quality of care I do have. Maybe next year I can be a little more excited about the whole thing. Maybe I'll even wear a feather boa with my pink survivor shirt. And a tiara with my pink baseball hat.

3 comments:

kai said...

I know exactly what you mean...it's wonderful to have so many people show up, but at the same time you wish they didn't need to be there. I feel this way about the Koman race as well as the AFSP walk. It sucks to be a member of the club but you're grateful they're here for so many of us.

Great pic of the parents!

Anonymous said...

This is a great photo of Mimi and Dad. wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Great work.